Have you ever worked on a team that went off the rails? Product teams need lots of support to run efficiently. You need to move fast, but you also need to be aligned in order to build successful products. Here are a few activities we use to keep our teams moving. We often facilitate them in Stickies.io, a product we built for collaboration, but any of these activities could also be done using analog sticky notes.
When you need to generate ideas
We like to structure brainstorming sessions to help get the entire team working together towards a unified goal. We set a timer for 3-5 minutes to challenge ourselves to think fast and broad. Then, we review the ideas and do another rapid round, with 2-4 minutes this time. Finally, we give all team members 3 votes and prioritize our ideas based on votes. The sequence looks like this:
- Introduce the goal of the brainstorming session
- Run rapid rounds.You can run as many as needed. We typically reduce the time set as we go and build off of each other’s ideas.
- Set the timer for 3-5 minutes
- Individually ideate on post-its until the timer goes off
- Let everyone describe their top 3 ideas
- Give everyone 3 dots and ask them to vote on three ideas to explore further
- Arrange ideas by votes
In person, we use post-its, sharpies and sticker dots: